Support the Legal Sale of Menthol Cigarettes
Recently FDA has stated it is seeking information to help determine whether or how to regulate menthol in cigarettes beyond existing regulations for all cigarettes.
Lorillard believes that the best available scientific evidence does not show that menthol cigarettes are more harmful than non-menthol cigarettes and that Americans have a right to make a personal choice to use any legal product.
If FDA imposed a ban or any severe regulations affecting menthol cigarettes, it would impact 30% of the U.S. cigarette market with serious unintended consequences.
- Many thousands of working Americans rely on menthol sales for their jobs including those who manufacture them.
- Overall, nearly 500,000 U.S. jobs depend in whole or in part on the sale of menthol through existing legal channels.
- A ban on menthol in cigarettes risks giving rise to an entire industry of unregulated cigarettes sold illegally on the underground market and worsening the already widespread illicit sale of cigarettes.
- Criminal activity resulting from the illicit sale of cigarettes will add even more burdens to already constrained law enforcement efforts.
- Illicit markets carry a public health costs by:
* Undermining laws to prevent sales of cigarettes to minors since cigarettes will not be sold in retail stores that check purchasers for legal age.
* Exposing smokers to more dangerous ingredients and constituents in cigarettes made by illegal manufacturers that are not under the scrutiny of FDA.
You can learn more about this issue and our views by visiting the follwoing links:
The Lorillard-sponsored menthol website at: www.understandingmenthol.com
Lorillard’s comments on the FDA’s evalulation of menthol science: Menthol Request for Comments – PSE Response.
Lorillard’s responses to the FDA on potential menthol regulation: Menthol Request for Comments – ANPRM Responses.